2022 EMG Douglas County Garden Show
by Thelma Simons, Dg. Co. Extension Master Gardener
The 2022 Garden Show is the premier event for Douglas County Extension Master Gardeners. This year’s event is focused on gardening for a sustainable future and is designed to provide a variety of learning opportunities for the community through hands-on workshops, speaker presentations, educational booths, and demonstrations. The event will also include a raffle and garage sale of garden items. The Garden Show will be held on March 12, 2022, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in Building 21 at the Douglas County Fairgrounds.
The Garden Show will include:
- Educational booths will include topics like pollinator gardening, edible gardening, tools and tool care, yoga for gardeners, and how to use Extension resources to solve gardening problems on your own.
- Expert speakers will provide presentations on gardening for pollinators, composting and mulching, vegetable gardening, gardening design, and all about bees.
- Master Gardeners will lead building workshops where you can learn how to create a wine bottle bird feeder, pie pan garden art flowers, scrap-wood birdhouses, and a root view micro garden. The root garden project is great for kids as it allows them to watch their plants root and grow. There is a material fee for these take-home projects. In the next week or so, we will provide online sign up on our website for our building workshops.
- Our new hoop house will host presentations on square foot gardening at 9:30 am and 2:00 pm on March 12. This technique helps make the most of garden space by creating a small, orderly, and productive kitchen garden. You can also take a tour of the hoop house between 10:30 am and 2:00 pm to see what goes on in a hoop house in late winter.
- JBs Tacos and Uplift Coffee food trucks will be at the Garden Show. JBs Tacos will serve a variety of regular and street tacos. Uplift Coffee will serve drinks and breakfast items
- A large garden garage sale will provide a wide variety of garden tools, containers, books, and more. If you need it to garden, you will find it in the garage sale.
- Local vendors include Anderson Rental, AAA Fence, Clinton Parkway, and Vinland Valley garden centers, Jungle House, Forest Keepers, Low Maintenance Landscape, Kansas Plant Farm, and Wildfire Metal.
- We have been collecting great raffle prize donations from many local businesses. Come see what great items will be available.
Please mark your calendars for the Garden Show on March 12, 2022, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, in Building 21 at the Douglas County Fairgrounds. More information about the Garden Show is available on the Douglas County Master Gardeners website at dgemgks.com. You can also follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/douglascountymastergardeners for more about the Garden Show, and gardening information throughout the year.